You are hereForums /

veloneil's picture

Sue Willmott, Mark Blackman and Wayne Grech are doing their bit to support cancer research

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

NSCC riders have always pedalled hard to support important community causes.

In 2014, Sue Willmott, Mark Blackman and Wayne Grech are participating in The Sunsuper Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 2-day, 200km cycling event that raises funds for cancer research and treatment.

All proceeds from the event go towards the construction of the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse, which will be a world-class cancer treatment and research facility providing integrated care to patients and carers.

veloneil's picture

NSCC's Michael Potter to have a crack at the MTB Worlds

NSCC's Michael Potter has been selected to represent Australia in U19 Men’s Mt Bike World Championships in Hafjell, Norway. As a first year U19 this is a real privilege, particularly as Michael is the only 1st year member in the team.

The championships are held from 2nd to the 7th September 2014.

The announcement comes after a successful Mountain Bike season where Michael finished 4th in the series. A few weekends back, he went to Mt Hutt in NZ where he placed 7th (2nd Australian) on a steep technical course.

veloneil's picture

BikeBug Beauie Worlds turns out again in style for race day 2

A handicap was the format for Round 2 of Bike Bug Beauie Worlds and turned out to be cracking day's racing.

And this nice thing about a handicap is that anyone can win on the day. Round 2 was no exception with D-grade riders hanging on until the final 100 metres to win the top 3 places, all going to NSCC riders.

A great turn-out of 73 riders sign-on meant that the pace was going to be fast. A-grade averaged almost 45 kph and is thought to be the fastest race ever!

Logan's picture

Reminder - Bikebug Beauie World Titles This Sunday 30th March

This Sunday we are expecting a big rollup for the first handicap race of the BikeBug Beauie Points Race Series.  Make sure you get there early to register as there are big prizes on offer.

Handicap races are heaps of fun at Beauie - and for those who've previously done them, these races are full-on with each grade trying to stay away or catch the others.  What it means is all grades working together to drive it from the gun.

veloneil's picture

BikeBug North Sydney comes on board to support the 2014 Beaumont Road point series

We can now announce that an initiative between NSCC and Bike Bug North Sydney has been agreed to support the 2014 Beaumont Road Criterium Series.

BikeBug will provide four prizes to be awarded to the NSCC rider that achieves the highest points in each grade over the 12 races.

Yes, we mentioned a few weeks ago how we will put some zing back into the Beauie Worlds criterium races.

The 2014 BikeBug Beaumont Road Criterium Series is a points-based competition focussed on NSCC members only, across 4 grades (A-D).

veloneil's picture

Beaumont Road - Round 1 race and grades

The first round of the Beauie Worlds Series has been run and won last Sunday 16 March, and we had a great turn out on the day ... 71 riders registered, with 60% participation by NSCC members.

Podium results were:
A-grade
1st - Matt Garnon NSCC
2nd - Michael Jaeger Peloton
3rd - Jeff Nakajima NSCC

B-grade
1st - Jon Dundas-Smith Peloton
2nd - Andy Hellmich CCCC
3rd - Ran Virdi NSCC

C-grade
1st - Daniel Newman NSCC
2nd - Chris Yeomans NSCC
3rd - Mike Coles Albury Wodonga CC

D-grade

veloneil's picture

Election of 2 committee members at the AGM - 7 April 2014

The NSCC annual general meeting is set down for Monday 7th April 2014 at the Asquith Golf Club. The AGM is an important event to consider matters and direction for your club in the coming year.

In addition to normal business, the AGM will receive nominations from NSCC members for 2 committee roles being (a) Secretary, and (b) Club Handicapper. Both roles require extensive liaison across the club, and with Cycling NSW and other clubs.

The roles of Secretary and Handicapper are both vitally important to the effective running of the club and do involve a time commitment.

veloneil's picture

The Sackville Wisemans and Mangrove Mountain training ride is on again Sunday 23 March - Who is willing?

Sunday will be our first club adventure this year and a good opportunity to tune those legs for upcoming club and open racing.

The course will take us through Galston Gorge out to Sackville and the River Road to Wisemans. This is opportunity for those to return who need to get home early. From Wisemans the hard guys and girls will head to Mangrove Mountain, Peats Ridge and home.

Ride leaves Hornsby Pool at 7am. The Wisemans short cut will give you roughly 130. The big loop is 210.

Come and support the club and your training. ALL Welcome.

veloneil's picture

NSCC riders are again tackling the Sydney to Surfers Youth of the Streets ride in 2014

NSCC's Bob Santone, Simon Davis and Neil Matthews are doing the 2014 Sydney to Surfers Bike Ride for the Youth off the Streets Charity (YOTS). This is Simon's first, Bob's 2nd and Neil's 7th ride.

The ride starts on Saturday 3rd May and involves pedalling 1000kms over 7 days to raise much needed funds for YOTS ... what a fantastic objective neatly combined with huge base training before the NSW open road racing season. Together, three riders will push about 1 million pedal strokes from here to there!

veloneil's picture

Two NSCC masters riders spend summer at Dunc Gray

Barry Kenyon and Neil Matthews have been cutting a trail to Dunc Gray velodrome to participate in the Bankstown Cycling Club 13-race track summer series. Both Barry and Neil were in C-grade and competition across all 6 grades was a high standard.

Barry finished overall top of C-grade with a large number of points, with Neil finishing sixth overall. Barry has already been advised that he is in B-grade next year.

veloneil's picture

Beaumont Road Points’ series - an update

Shortly, you will receive a NSCC email providing some more details about the 2014 Beaumont Road Crit season which is scheduled across 12 races.

The Beauie race formats will include 6 scratch races, 3 handicap races and 3 teams’ events. Cash prizes will still be paid at the end of each race as currently happens.

Dates for the 12 races are shown below and the season starts next Sunday 16 March, with the second race two weeks later on 30 March. Two races are run on Monday public holidays.
Sunday 16 March
Sunday 30 March
Monday 21 April
Sunday 18 May
Sunday 1st June

veloneil's picture

Better access for the 2014 NSCC Race Calendar

Just a quick note to say that we are aware that the screen and print resolution for the race calendar is not good and a link to download a copy from the website will be available shortly. We will also be sending details out via email. We are making every effort to get this information to you as soon as practical.

This is a 2-page printout and is designed to be displayed on the fridge, next to your desk, or wherever you can see it as an easy reference.

veloneil's picture

2014 NSCC Race and training calander

The NSCC committee has prepared a calendar for riders outlining important events for the 2014 year.

The calendar includes the following events.

Beaumont Road "Beauie" Criterium races
12 race dates have been set down for the 2014 year and make be run every 2, 3 or weeks depending on other events.

More information will be coming out about the new points series that is designed to encourage greater participation in Beaumont Road Crits by NSCC riders.

Note we have also identified some reserve dates for Beaumont Road races in case wet weather causes a cancellation.

veloneil's picture

NSCC Recognition and Awards Night - final ticket sales this weekend

Remember that this weekend is the last chance to get tickets for the Awards Night, Saturday 1st March.

We have to finalise numbers on Monday and advise the Asquith Golf Club.

Don't miss out, and hear about how good the night was afterwards.

Go to the NSCC web shop, log in and get your tickets.

veloneil's picture

Partner's Day ride - Sunday 23 February

Over recent years, NSCC has arranged the Partners Day ride, where partners and family members can come out on a relaxing bunch ride around Hornsby.

We leave from the old Hornsby pool at 7.30am and ride about 15kms along quiet streets, returning for breakfast at Hornsby Plaza. The ride takes about an hour and breakfast about an hour and half ... seems to be the right balance.

veloneil's picture

Beaumont Road race (16-Feb) cancelled due to wet weather

Sorry everyone but Beauie cancelled due to wet weather and roads. Watch for future postings for next race.

veloneil's picture

From the President's desk

Plenty happening around NSCC at the moment as we well and truly gear up for the 2014. Read on and see what you can get involved in!

Beaumont Road Season Competition
Planning has been underway to develop a Beaumont Road 12 race season series commencing Sunday 16th March and extending to 19 October, and include scratch races, handicaps and 2 teams events. We are still sorting some of the finer detail, but the idea is that you accumulate points for racing, and extra points for a place on the podium.

veloneil's picture

NSCC’s Nick Both leads pioneering Aussie Cyclocross Worlds team

NSCC member Nick Both has just achieved a milestone for Australian cycling by racing the Elite Men's Cyclocross World Championship as part of Australia’s first official national team since 1973.

Nick was the sole Australian entrant in the Elite Men’s race in Hoogerheide last weekend, finishing 55th. He had this to say about the race.

veloneil's picture

Justin Morris shares his thoughts on achieving a balance in life, place, cycling and achievement

Life has taken a few more twists & turns since I last wrote a blog. I have been back to Australia, back to America, back to Australia, back to America, to Europe and then back to America since November. The travel, although fantastic to see so much of the world, was beginning to take a toll on my body and inevitably my training. Hence, I have now found myself where it feels like a my home away from home, and excited to have been here in one spot for 3 weeks straight!

The place is Traverse City, in far Northern Michigan. If you would like to hear how I ended up here, lend me your ear one day and I will tell you a long, beautiful story. To cut a long story short, I followed my heart & my smile. Following this charter has made me feel truly happy, alive and motivated.

Some people think the far north is a crazy place to live. But I love it here! The incessant snow and freezing temperature’s are a real novelty for this bloke from a sunburnt country. Each morning is an excitement to see how much snow I get to shovel off the driveway with my brand new shovel in my brand new snow boots! Most importantly however, I feel grounded, warm and included by the people here. From travelling the world I have found that where the people work hard they are often the friendliest, most genuine & down to earth people you will meet. Mere existence is hard work in Michigan, each day begins with the back breaking snow shovelling I mentioned to access your car, then driving is a struggle and often ends in a snow bank where everyone offers a helping hand to help each other out. The community is bound to each other, as up here, we need each other to survive. Staying warm requires work, chopping firewood, and scraping ice.

veloneil's picture

Brad is fast tracked into the National Track Championships and climbs to the top of the Heap

Who watched Cycling Central’s coverage of the National Track Championships on last Saturday and Sunday nights? NSCC's Brad Heap featured in both shows.

Brad Heap is one of the very talented riders that have come through the Junior Academy, training under coaches Helmut Vetisch and Grahame Heap (Brad's father).

Brad was selected to ride for NSW Track Team about 6 weeks ago and went into intensive training with NSW coach Sean Eadie in the lead up.

Proudly wearing his NSW uniform, Brad gets onto the podium to be awarded with two National Medals, Bronze in the JM19 Kierin and Silver in JM19 Team Sprint. There was also a 250m TT held on the Tuesday which while not part of the nationals had all states riders competing. Brad achieved a 2nd place in JM19 category.

The meeting was held at the Adelaide Superdrome last Wednesday 29th Jan to Saturday 1st Feb and had international riders from Korea and Japan competing.

veloneil's picture

NSCC Partner's ride and breakfast - 23 February

This ride is the "Partner's ride" where NSCC members encourage their partners come out on a relaxed ride for about 12-15kms from Hornsby pool. We plan to roll at 7.30am.

In past years the ride has been very successful.

Terrain is mostly flat and traffic is not busy. Pace is generally 18-20kph and no-one gets dropped. And it does not matter what type of bike you use.

So, get your partner out onto the pedals and have a go. Route will take us from the pool then out along Somerville Road Hornsby and return to a café for breakfast.

veloneil's picture

Who is keeping up with the Jones'? Ashlee and Laura get the job done at State Track Champs

NSCC has just scored 2 medals from the NSW junior state track titles held over the weekend.

Ashlee Jones won a gold medal for her individual pursuit and hopefully this means an automatic selection into the NSW State team. But Ashlee is waiting to hear directly rom Cycling NSW before she gets too excited. NSCC is all wishing this for you Ashlee!

veloneil's picture

NSCC clothing is now in stock

Just in case you have not heard the word, the new NSCC kit has arrived and available, and is in the web shop for ordering.

veloneil's picture

NSCC skin suits - the order is about to close

We have assembled enough pre-orders to place the order to CAPO for skin suits. This is the last call up to Monday 10th February for anyone still interested in acquiring a skin suit.

veloneil's picture

The awards night is less than 4 weeks away - Early bird ticket prices disappear this Saturday

Less than 4 weeks to go to the Awards night!

Ticket sales for the NSCC Recognition and Awards night on 1st March are going very well, with the venue almost half sold. Make sure you do not miss out.

But the early bird flies away next Saturday.

The early bird offer on ticket prices finishes on this Saturday 8th February … YES this Saturday … so don’t miss out! The early bird offer is designed to be just that … get in early, that way we can plan to make this a better event by knowing who is coming. Including you!

Best Mountain Bike