You are hereForums /

veloneil's picture

Two incidents remind me that road safety and ettiquette cuts both ways

Below is a preview, click to read the full post

On Saturday 25th January, there were two separate incidents involving a NSCC bunch and heavy vehicles. The first was a local bus overtaking the bunch across double lines in a reckless and unnecessary manner, not once but twice. The second and more serious, was road rage from an impatient truck driver aggrieved that he had missed a red light! Further down Mona Vale Road, the same truck driver swerved at the bunch in a very dangerous manner.

veloneil's picture

NSCC's Saxon Irvine reflects on his 2014 Nationals race

As I prepared for my second crack at nationals I went into my prep being a bit more realistic about my chances and what I hoped to get out of this race. I rated this race as B on my seasons calendar due to my chances of being and wanting to be at my peak so early in the season and knowing that every pro that was pinning a number to their back was going to be in it to win or make sure they set it up for their team mates.

veloneil's picture

Its on! Download the flyer - NSCC Recognition and Awards Night

Planning is well and truly underway!

Saturday 1st March is the NSCC Recognition and Awards Night where we get together and celebrate being the great club we are.

The function will be held at the Asquith Golf Club and it is certainly an excellent venue with great food. A live band will also be playing featuring bass player and Le Reve rider Mark Blackman. So we know you are a great rider, but how well do you and your partner dance?

veloneil's picture

The excitement of the RHMR event gets captured

NSCC was very lucky to have had some talented photographers applying their skills at the RHMR on 5th Jaunary.

Chris Belyea and Dallas Thomas captured the action from the sidelines at the Robert Hodgson Memorial Race. Their work at the race was outstanding and received a lot of praise when published on social media. In particular, their photo of the winner Michael Jaeger was an instant internet favourite. Chris' and Dallas' work can be accessed at http://www.chrisbelyea.com.au/Clients/Hodgson-Me... and please use the password "RHM" to gain access.

veloneil's picture

NSCC Skin suits - any further interest in placing an order

Are you looking for the extra few watts? This CAPO wind-cheating, long sleeved skinsuit might make all the difference!

NSCC has developed this product with CAPO and it is worthwhile for time-trialists, track riders, and anyone looking for an edge in racing.

This is not a stock item and NSCC can only place an group order once it gets sufficient orders from members. So far 7 riders have purchased a skin suit and we are looking for a few more to complete the order to CAPO.

So if you are interested, please go to the web shop and place your order ASAP.

veloneil's picture

NSCC's Saxone Irvine completes the Australia National Elite Road Championships

NSCC's Saxon Irvine has finished overall 32 out of 140 riders in the elite men's road race at the Nationals at Ballarat in Victoria. It is not often that a NSCC rider get's their name on the same finishing list as side Gerrans, Evans and Porte.

Well done Saxon ... a great effort!

Please read about the race at http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/cycling-austral...

veloneil's picture

Correction - NSCC Recognition and Awards Night - Saturday 1st March

NSCC Recognition and Awards night is set down for Saturday 1st March 2014 at the Asquith Golf Club, NOT the 2nd March as previously advised. I apologise for any confusion.

Further information about format, venue, times, purchasing tickets, and so on will be out in the next few days.

veloneil's picture

Kevin Eddy's article in Cycling Tips captures the essence of Robert's life

Further to my bulletin yesterday, I can proudly say that Kevin Eddy's story prepared for Cycling Tips is an outstanding account as to why the Robert Hodgson Memorial Race was conceived and why so many riders and supporters got behind the event.

Kevin Eddy is a valuable member of the NSCC family and a talented journalist and editor. Working with Andy Logan and Doug Robinson, Kevin's article was willingly run by Cycling Tips ... a highly respected forum site dedicated to cycling.

veloneil's picture

From the President's desk

Gearing up for 2014

Happy New Year to everyone. 2014 is looking to be a big year around NSCC with membership looking strong, and plenty of racing and training miles to be made.

Arch's picture

Important update for NSCC riders at Tour Down Under

Folks in January the red and black machine will be heading to Tour Down Under in Adelaide. Many are organising their own accommodation at various locations. Matt and Paul Garnon have organised family accommodation at the resort at Mt Lofty in the Adelaide Hills - here are the details of the venue, 74 Mt Lofty Summit Rd, Crafers, Adelaide. www.mtloftyhouse.com.au

veloneil's picture

From the President's Desk

NSCC Christmas ride - Saturday 21 December
Each year, on the last ride before Christmas, NSCC members have traditionally adorned their machines with tinsel and other decorations and have taken to the streets. This has seen riders in Santa clothes, hats and antlers, and some with flashing lights along their handle bars and top tubes, all in an effort to celebrate the Christmas season.

So this year is no different. Whether you are on La Reve, Guns and Roses or El Pres, spruce up your bike and get in the spirit for our Saturday Christmas rides.

Arch's picture

Beauie Worlds December Race Report

There was a great turnout for the final Beauie World Titles of 2013 - weather was very kind to us and the rain held off for a great day's racing in mild but humid conditions.
Tensions and emotions were high as riders in all grades were chasing the special prizes of Xmas hams - donated by Craig's butchery West Gordon - luckily no vegans won today as Craig forgot the tofu (next time eh Brett?).

A special thanks to Kim Austen and George Mouhayet who have been the backbone of Beauie racing all year - fantastic work guys for keeping this famous race ticking along.

Logan's picture

NSCC Weekly Update - Want to win a Ham for Christmas?

Want to win a Ham for Xmas? Read below to find out how and details about what's happening around the club in the run up to Christmas.

Arch's picture

NSCC Raid on Manly West Head Race - B Grade

Garnon, Logan and Wilson headed out for a smash and grab special on MWCC West Head race this morning. Matt was several minutes late for the rollout from Pearces - as usual - which meant the three of us had to TT all the way to Akuna Bay. We got there with 30 seconds to sign on, pin on a number and roll out in B Grade - Craig Stevens is obviously better organised and was already there.

Logan's picture

Interested in a NSCC Skinsuit?

The new NSCC Skinsuit design is now ready and I know a few people have been asking after them for both Track and TT work....

Well Capo have given us our design (see below) and these can now be pre-ordered online now. Now the minimum order number is 20 for us to make an order and we will be taking pre-payment first to ensure that we have enough takers.

So if your interested, get online and make your pre-order.

Logan's picture

The NSCC Weekly Roundup

Decent size update coming for you all this week and I know I have been a little slack again however, have been pretty busy with work unfortunately. I hope everyone that attended the Scott Sunderland sessions took something from the events, I found them extremely beneficial including the descending tricks and some of the out of the saddle work as well.

veloneil's picture

From the President's desk

Robert Hodgson Memorial Race - 5th January 2014

In 2013 we lost Robert Hodgson, a legend of the Sydney cycling community and a member of NSCC.

Early in 2014, we launch the first Robert Hodgson Memorial Race to remember, honour and celebrate one man and his fight to ride tall and conquer cancer.

Hopefully you have heard about this inaugural event to be held on the 5th January 2014 at Beaumont Road, Sydney. This will be a great race to see, all in the memory of Robert.

veloneil's picture

NSCC's Richard Spinks represents NSW in Jayco Australian Cyclist of the Year Awards

NSCC rider Richard Spinks was nominated by Cycling NSW in Masters Road category at the Jayco Australian Cyclist of the Year Awards held on Friday 8th November in Melbourne.

The nomination is the culmination of an outstanding year for Richard, which included participation in the World Masters Championships, and great performances in the NSW and National Masters Champs.

Victorian rider Stephen Fairless eventual took out the 2013 Masters award last night. Stephen is a former Olympic road cyclist and winner of the Grafton to Inverell in 1991.

Logan's picture

NSCC Weekly Roundup - It's Movember Time

Alright people, another weekly update is upon us and I hope all of you fared considerably better in the Cup than I did on Tuesday. I am currently drowning my sorrows, although I am pretty sure that this is because on Day 5 of Movember I have no donations and tbh not much of a Mo either....Anyway Lots happening around the club, including Movember, Scott Sunderland Training Sessions and the 7 Gorges.

veloneil's picture

You’re running out of time to learn from Scott Sunderland

NSCC’s unique training days with ex-Sky Pro Cycling coach Scott Sunderland are just two weeks away - have you signed up yet?

Scott will be running two training days: an intermediate/advanced day on Saturday 23 November, and an advanced/elite day on Sunday 24 November.

So ... Which day is right for me?

Attend Saturday if:
- You are an A-grade or B-grade (or strong C-grade) club racer looking to move up a level
- You’ve raced B-grade in the past and are looking for ways to kick start your summer season

Logan's picture

Scody 3 Peaks Challenge - Training Article by James Swadling

In the first of this five part training guide series, NSCC Member, NRS Rider and Head Coach of Fast Twitch Coaching has written for us what you need to be doing to in the run up to the 3 Peaks Challenge to ensure you are in top form and ready to go on the start line on 9th March 2014.

Logan's picture

NSCC Weekly Update - 29th October 2013

In addition to Neil's reports from National Masters and Grafton, we have a race report from the Mick Chapman Crit in Newcastle, written by yours truly. As well an update on the now live webshop that will meet all your kit needs. Finally some ride and race options for the weekend as well.

In the coming weeks, we will have a interview with the Ever green Richard Spinks, news on some longer group rides and finally some information about the Rog Hodgeson Memorial Invite race as well.

veloneil's picture

Racing update from World and National Champs and the G2I

Richard Spinks represents NSCC and Australia at the World Masters Champs
Congratulations to Richard Spinks who competed in the World Masters Championship in Italy in September, gaining a second place in the individual time trial and fourth in the road race for the Masters 65+ group.
A special feature on Richard’s cycling career achievements will be run in the near future.

National Masters Championships 2013

Logan's picture

NSCC Webshop - Update

NSCC Clubshop is almost live

As some of you might have noticed, there is now an additional tab at the top of the page for the club shop. This has been updated today. However you will also note that if you click through the page currently has samples etc.

The shop is not live yet and if you attempt to buy anything the webshop will not work

If you do, I will thank you in advance for making a donation to the club, however you wont get any kit distributed.

This will be updated in the next few days.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Mountain Bike